The theme for Sharing Time was about doing things on the Sabbath that helps us stay close to Heavenly Father (this was in August). So I thought doing a play on words with "Sunday School" --> "Sundae School" would be funny.
Black tagboard oriented long-ways, with a cut-out/drawn cone at the bottom.
Then all sorts of construction paper crazy food, along with ice cream scoops of course!
I had these paper clipped to the side of the tagboard.
We did a little quiz between songs about the songs with relation to the Sabbath. The kid who answered the question right got to come up and pick: ice cream scoop or crazy food!
At the end of the Senior Singing Time we had a funny tall ice cream cone. The Junior kids actually only picked ice cream! Above is a photo of the visual after the last group, the Seniors. Some of the scoops got taped up all crazy. The visual was about 3' tall.
1. Visiting your neighbors is a great thing to do on the Sabbath.
Which verse of “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus” does it mention “trying to love my neighbor”? (2nd)
JUNIOR KIDS Stand up and face your neighbor and clap hands together while singing the second verse
SENIOR KIDS link arms and skip around the room while singing the second verse
2. Prophet Ezra Taft Benson said something we should definitely NOT do on the Sabbath and that is “wasting time.” What’s an example of how we could waste time on a Sunday!
A word that is the opposite of wasting time or being lazy is TRY.
Let’s stand up every time we sing “try” in “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus!”
Sing the whole song
3. How many times do we sing the word “love” or a form of the word “love” (like “loving”) in our song of the month, “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus”? Take some guesses!
The closest person gets to pick silly food or ice cream scoop! ANSWER = THIRTEEN including both chorus’
Everyone sing the whole song and count how many versions of love we sing!
4. In the song it says “At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice, but I try to listen as the still small voice whispers….” What are ways we can make sure we can HEAR the Holy Ghost whispering to us on a Sunday, by not….? We should pray, listen to only quiet peaceful music to invite the Spirit in, speak in quiet tones in our house, etc.
Whisper that verse
5. “I try to remember the lessons he taught” is in “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus”
What do we do on Sundays at church where we hear the words “…always remember him…” and “…eat in remembrance of the body of the thy Son…” (sacrament prayer)
Extra challenge: In what section of the doctrine & covenants do we find the Sacrament prayer? 20!
Make your remembering face (stroke chin, tape side of head, funny etc.) and sing!!
6. “I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again”
What is the name of that day – that great event when Jesus will come again? (the Second Coming)
Everyone turn and watch the watch up on the wall while singing that part