Sunday, March 3, 2013

If the Savior Stood Beside Me: Four Corners

Oh how I pondered and pondered and PONDERED for weeks on how to present this song.
My modus operandi is games, but this song felt too sacred and special to start it off with a game the first week.

So I used a combination of the ideas in my previous post!


First I asked the kids if it's hard to always choose the right.
I was holding that picture from the Gospel Art Kit of the Savior holding a lamb.
Do they think it would be easier to choose the right if we had someone standing next to us each time?
What if our best friend was standing next to us? Our Primary President? Our Mom or Dad?
What if Jesus was standing next to us? Would it be easier then to always choose the right? Would we be more kind to others? Would we listen to the same music, watch the same shows? Be more honest?

We do have someone very special in life that is always there for us. We may not always be able to see or hear or feel Him, but He is always there.

For the Junior kids, I then went more methodically through the first verse, singing it once through (DON'T WE LOVE SINGING SOLOS!!! HAHAHAHA)
But for the Senior kids, a lot of them remembered it! I was pretty impressed.
So I started right off with putting things on the board, as detailed below.

In going through the first verse, I pointed out that the Savior is mentioned at the beginning and at the end.
I put up two pictures of the Savior (the same one) -- on the right hand side and on the left hand side of the board, leaving room for four pieces of paper between.
We talked about how there were 4 questions, all starting with "Would"
I put up four different colors of paper, each with a question mark, between the pictures of the Savior.

We sang it through, talking about the questions.
I then handed out the same color papers, dividing the kids into 4 groups. They were numbered.
They had to tell me what their question was, we sang it, and then we played "Four Corners."
The groups each went into a corner, and we sang the verse through with just the 1st group singing the 1st question and so forth.
We switched a few more times and then we were done!

This could be done for the second verse too, although I will come up with something different.
This was a more calm Singing Time, no wild game or distracting props. It was nice to do this once in awhile, especially for a song so special as this one about the Savior.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I am (last minute) covering for our chorister tomorrow and this is such a great idea I can't wait to try it! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I specifically remember this awesome song practice and instruction, well done Caileann. (Would questions and four corners)

    ReplyDelete