Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Heavenly Father Loves Me, Week 3

Week Three because Week Two of February I spent on our Valentine's Day Singing Time!

Here's what I did!

I ordered a U.S. map (free because I'm a AAA member).
I also found some of those fun sticky hands at Target in the party section! A package of 8 for $2. I couldn't resist!

So in order to not be singing "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" over and over like we did the first week, I thought of a way to incorporate a lot of other songs.

On the map are 9 different taped states.
I assigned each state to a particular word from the song.
First the kids played "pass the globe" while we sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" and the pianist chose when to stop. Whoever was holding the globe wigot to come up and grab a sticky slapper and tried to slap one of the states.
For example, let's say they slap Colorado.
I assigned Colorado to the word "TREE" (our pianist will have the list of words and song so she can keep up) But I didn't tell the kids it's "TREE" -- instead the pianist and I started on "Popcorn Popping" and when we reached the word "TREE" I rang a little bell I have, and stopped.

The kids had to tell me/sing for me which part of "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" the word "TREE" is in.
I was so happy to see that many of them could think of it!
Then we continued with "pass the globe" and then stopped, and so on and so forth!

And so on.
Here are the words and the songs I chose:
BIRD - In the Leafy Treetops
SKY - Oh What Do You Do in the Summertime (third verse only)
RAIN - Rain is Falling All Around
TOUCH - Little Purple Pansies
TREE - Popcorn Popping
WORLD - Joy to the World
EYE - A Smile is Like the Sunshine
HEAR - Christmas Bells
HEART - The Hearts of the Children

Remember you only sing the small portion of the song with the word in it (in the interest of time) and you make sure the ring the bell. Even if they don't know the song, they'll enjoy hearing you sing it and they'll be excited to hear when the bell rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment